Friday, March 23, 2018


 


       "Remember to look up to the stars ...... Be curious." 
                       Stephen Hawking (1942-2018)

Namaste to All ...        

 I am so thankful to have had Stephen Hawking's energy touch my family.  His mind-bending insight into the workings of the Universe deeply captivated my two sons when they were at the age of looking more deeply into themselves and life.  (Does that ever end?)   Stephen Hawking's book A Brief History of Time opened doors of new thought giving more explanation to our existence.

After a visit to CalTech to hear a Hawking lecture, my sons were hooked even more.  They watched this man in action talking of the cosmos in seriousness tinged with his ever-present humor.  At this time, my youngest was majoring in physics in high school.  Eventually, when his creativeness took over, he shifted to writing and drawing.  He became a Berkeley grad with a degree in English never letting go of his keen interest in astronomy and science fiction.

And with my eldest son, Hawking's vast perceptions fanned his interest in mind experience leading him to philosophy and then on to neuroscience.   He possesses a drive not to give up on his other artistic interests.  I do believe Stephen Hawking's determination and expansive views were very influential in both their lives. 

For me, as a lazy Buddhist practitioner (a term I've heard the Dalai Lama use for himself), deep science and spirituality had found a meeting place in my studies.  Both look at life elements very closely, watching the energy, seeing the movement, the impermanence, the sameness of all life, and the intuitive control our minds have over molecules in regard to healing and making change.  For me, this knowing is joyful. 

Hawking looked so deeply and far into space, I do believe that pathway lead him full circle to within.   He intrinsically held a great love for life and it is said that he lived life to the fullest with humor.  He felt "life would be tragic if it weren't so funny."  


Stephen Hawking never said he was a Buddhist.  I believe he didn't need that label.  He obviously had no attachments to his physical form and flowed through his life.  I liked what he says here stating his dislike for aggression which is one of the three poisons that Buddhism talks of:  

       "The human failing I would most like to correct is   
       aggression. It may have had survival advantage in   
       caveman days, to get more food, territory or partner
      with whom to reproduce, but now it threatens to destroy
      us all.” Likewise, he said about empathy that it’s the 
      quality he “would most like to magnify .... It brings us 
      together in a peaceful, loving state.”

Stephen Hawking's energy will always be here.  Blessings to this remarkable human being on his new adventure.  I would like to dedicate a poem to him ... 


 creative insight
aha! prismatic cosmos
reflections of me

to be fully expressed
dancing with life and love
in the rainbow mist

a colorful gathering
and melding of all that is
I am here and now
 


Thank you for being on the pathway
of awareness!


  



 

No comments: