Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Namaste to my friends and family ... During this healing time that is stretching out in front of me, I am having a harder time remaining focused and staying in a calm and peaceful place.  

A painting by Prince Chand, an artist of India



In an effort to try something different or to even remind myself of something that I already know or to even give me a boost, I did some research.  With the help of my computer, I found a mindfulness teaching from the sacred text Anapansati Sutra.  

"There is a story where a monk, having gone to the wilderness, to the shade of a tree, or to an empty room, sits down folding his legs crosswise, holding the body erect, and setting mindfulness to the fore.  Always mindful, he breathes in, mindful he breathes out."

This is what the Buddha taught:

"Breathing in long, he discerns, 'I am breathing in long; or breathing out long, he discerns, 'I am breathing out long.  Breathing in short, he discerns, 'I am breathing in short; breathing out short, he discerns, 'I am breathing out short.

He trains himself: 'I will breathe in sensitive to the whole body.'  He trains himself, 'I will breathe out sensitive to the whole body."

Again, the practice becomes clearer.  We are training our minds to clear the pathway.  (Did I know that? I ask myself with a smile.) For my situation, I am sometimes using a prayer like this:  I am breathing in healing.  I am breathing out healing.  I am breathing in healing.  I am breathing out healing.  I synchronize this thought with my breath.  Over and over again, I think my mantra as I breathe. 
                                                Or
Om mani padme hum, I breathe in.  
Om mani padme hum, I breathe out. 
Will you join me?