Sunday, June 10, 2012

Namaste to You ...  I have been thinking about walking ... and about how I can use all of my steps as an exercise in awareness.  Again, I have gone to one of my teachers ... 

Thich Nhat Hanh 
May we be with you in this moment.


This is a simple one.  When we are walking 
outdoors, this peaceful monk 
suggests we really look at nature 
and open ourselves up to a Divine conversation 
with the world.  As I have mentioned before when 
I worked with children, I would remind 
them that we can use our imagination to get into 
 spirit play and talk to nature ... 
I love you, water ... I love you, tree ... I love you, flowers ... just go for it and it becomes easier to 
connect with your inner child. 
I would say we can push this to the limits.

Walking Meditation in Nature

         Here is one meditation that Thich Nhat Nanh suggests:

"Breathing in, good morning, birds
Breathing out, thank you for your songs ...
Breathing in, hello, blue sky
Breathing out, thank you, dear blue sky, 
   for being there for me." 

***
  
And then there are those moments of being in a crowd ... perhaps, we can apply that same kind of practice of showing appreciation for what is happening in the moment ... Thank you, people ... Thank you, streets ... Thank you, signs ... Thank you ...

I
Street Walking Meditation
                                                            
This one is not as easy as walking meditation in nature.  
It is different.  Although I love the contrast,
being in a city or with groups of people 
with lots of movement calls on me to 
be mindful of the different kinds 
of sensations ... the feel of Earth 
through the concrete, the city
 sounds, the different city
 scents, the signs ... 
breathing in the new experiences
... can bring joy, too, just
knowing that I am a part of it all.   
And I think witnessing myself in all the 
different situations of life is a growing experience.

***

And then there is this ... the primal practice of the "walking meditation" of our teachers ... concentrating on breathe, on our feet and on our steps is where it all begins ... staying in the moment of just walking.
Thank You

Monks ... Walking Meditation at Sunset
                                                   ***
                                                  
I do so much walking during the days of my life.  
I want to turn every step into a meditation.   
Yes, even during the mundane activities of life, I can
 walk in mindfulness and turn them into a spiritual event ... those steps from from room to room, out to my car, 
all of them ... can be looked upon 
as a practice in mindfulness that will lead me to an 
evolution in the awareness of knowing who I Am and where 
I Am.

 What do YOU think?
Have you picked up this
thought, also?
All is One
Thank you for being here.  
Thank you for joining me in 
our Awakening.  
What a journey!



           

No comments: